Two Day Old NewsBy: Dylan | July 22nd, 2011
I wrote this article two days ago, but Wordpress hates me, so I could only get it up now. Sorry if it feels old…
It’s exactly forty days until the Serie A season officially begins (28th August 2011). I think I’ll take a break from criticising the FIGC to write about some recent transfer rumours and an argument in Rome, with some pre-season friendlies thrown in for good measure.
• Sky Sport Italia are reporting that both Manchester clubs are now in the hunt for Roma midfielder Daniele De Rossi. City will apparently offer 5 million more than his current contract is worth.
• Roma Director Walter Sabatini is reported to be in Amsterdam negotiating and fee for Ajax keeper Maarten Stekelenburg (I have also heard he is back without a deal). Either way I believe Roma are undervaluing the shot-stopper, as it’s rumoured that they are only offering between 6-8 million.
• Lazio have quashed rumours that Mauro Zarate is on his way to PSG by saying there have been no ‘formal’ offers. Reports during the week claimed that the French outfit were offering 20 million for the front-man.
• Alberto Aquilani’s agent claims that Fiorentina will not meet the full asking price. Claiming: ‘we can whittle things down’. The midfielder returned to Liverpool after Juventus decided not to buy the player after his loan in Turin.
• The random rumour of the day goes to Villarreal, as they have reportedly offered 12 million for Fiorentina’s Alberto Gilardino. With a contract worth 3 million a year.
An Argument In Rome
Now this probably isn’t a real story, but I wanted to cover it anyway.
Soon to be appointed Roma general manager Baldini has caused a bit of a backlash with his controversial comments on Francesco Totti. The comments basically consisted of baldini calling Totti lazy:
“Totti has four or five years of playing career left ahead of him, if he manages to focus only on football and nothing else”.
Now Baldini is not the first man to call Totti lazy, but he’s not even in the job yet and he’s criticising the Giallorossi Faithfull’s favourite player.
Baldini’s comments were mainly about the fact the Totti is in a lot of Italian advertisements, when he should be focussing on football. Any Italian will know who unbearable his Vodafone ads were with Gattuso.
- Why Do Italians Love Saying English Words?
This story has been blown out of proportion by fans, but don’t expect many of them to fully understand the comments. Totti has publicly described them as ‘a stab in the back’, when he should have said nothing.
It’s not a good start for the stubborn Tuscan in Rome.
We all love them! Watching our teams destroy smaller teams.
Inter vs. Cremonese
Gian Piero Gasperini’s side won 4-1, with goals from Eto’o, Pazzini and Faraoni.
Lazio vs. FC Luzern
New signings Miroslav Klose and Djibril Cisse both got on the score sheet as Lazio also won 4-1.
Udinese vs. Bordeaux
Champions League bound Udinese managed to win 3-1 against good opposition, even without Alexis Sanchez.
Since Udinese ruined the pattern of winning 4-1, I’ll end the round-up there!
Follow me on twitter @dylan_fahy